Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Orphanage Visit

Today I was lucky enough to visit an orphanage about 30 minutes outside of Okpo with a group of ladies whose husband's work with Shell.  The group has decided to help these group of kids once a month and collect donations in money form or supplies.  We had lunch brought in and were able to spend a few hours visiting and touring the facilities.  There are about 60 kids ranging from 1 year to high school age with majority of them in middle and high school.  It started in 1957 and has only had 2 adoptions since opening!  We tried to find out way so few but didn't really get the details.  From what information I heard someone wanting to adopt must go through an agency and they must pick where you adopt from.  There are about 4-5 orphanages on our island so I can't imagine how many there are all in Korea.  The government pays for about 50% of what they need to keep it open so donations are much needed.  Each child is allocated about $150 for clothes for ONE YEAR!  Can you imagine only having $150 for your clothes for an entire year??  Birthdays are celebrated once a month and the average gift per child is less than $20.  Besides what they don't have the kids all seemed very happy and excited.  Of course there were a few shy but isn't surprising especially hearing where they have come from.  A few of the kids still keep in touch with relatives but they are there because family can't support them.  I am sure I will learn more with each monthly visit but I just wanted to share with you my first experience. 

If you are interested in donating money or gently used clothes please let me know.  My mom and sister are coming in March and I plan to ask them to bring items for me especially since everyday things are so costly here.  Things that are also needed are school supplies (pens, pencils, crayons, paper, markers), Hygene items (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, lady products, deodorant), and much more.  The ladies here have pledged a monetary donation each month and a birthday gift for each child.

These two are brothers.


Too Cute!  Only girl in the baby age group.



This was my pal for the day.  He was giving me high fives. 

Charlie and Laura with one of the baby boys.

Classroom

Middle school girls hanging out in their common area.

Typical boys room-4 boys to one room.  They sleep on bed pads.  I am not sure how they fit.

Mickey and the Principal


My buddy telling me he is 3!

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome you are doing that!! I have to say that that is a very nice orphange. One of my friends has adopted 2 girls from China and their place were awful!! Those kids look happy there. I know they enjoy yall coming and you get blessed while doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shawn, That is pretty cool of you to do that! I will talk to Billy about making some kind of a donation. It makes me sad to think of ALL the kids out there living like that. Hope you and Tommy are doing good. I enjoy reading your posts, keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete