Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Korean Table Manners

Today was coffee group at the Foreigner's Club.  There was a guest speaker teaching us Korean table manners.  A few things I learned:
1. You must wait for the elders to be seated and then wait until they eat before starting
2. No blowing your nose at the table!
3. No sucking your fingers (so becareful when eating ribs!)
4. Try to eat at the pace of everyone else
5. Offer alcohol to the elders first
6. When accepting a dish or drink do so with both hands
7. Pour drinks with both hands
8. Your utensils stay on the table when you aren't eating, you can't place them on your plate or bowl.  The only time you may do this is if you are honoring the dead in a ceremony.  Well I have been doing this at every meal, so I have been very rude!  I just don't want my utensils laying on the bare table in between bites.
9. Don't talk with you mouth full (sound familar?)
10. No elbows on table (another familar one)
11. If you don't want someone to refill your drink then leave a little liquid in the glass, oh and you aren't supposed to refill your own glass, so you need to watch around you to refill your neighbors glass.

After our lesson we went for a Korean dish called Guk and Bob, which is soup and rice.  It was a spicy beef soup with cabbage and other veggies and a side of steamed rice.  It was excellent!  One of my favorites so far and I can't wait to take Tommy.  It was also my first time to sit on the floor while we ate.  At first it was no big deal, but then my legs started to fall asleep! 

Tomorrow I am heading to Busan with the ladies for a shopping trip so I will let you know what goods I find!

No comments:

Post a Comment